Bad breath (clinically termed halitosis) is most commonly the result of poor dental hygiene and can be worsened by certain habits (such as smoking or tobacco use) or through the consumption of odorous foods such as onions, garlic, coffee, alcohol, dairy products, orange juice, soda, and more.
However, other lesser known causes of bad breath may also stem from underlying health problems which are listed below.
STATISTICS ABOUT BAD BREATH
According to the Bad Breath Institute, between 35 and 45 percent of the people in the world suffer from bad breath at some point during their day.
Of that 35 to 45 percent, 80 million of those are Americans who spend over $10 billion on oral hygiene products (e.g., mints, gum, mouthwashes, toothpaste, etc.) to combat bad breath each year.
Bad breath sufferers are 60% more likely to suffer from stress, while 57% of bad breath sufferers report feelings of depression due to their condition.
CAUSES OF BAD BREATH
Persistent bad breath may be a warning sign of either long term or underlying health issues including:
- Poor dental hygiene – not brushing or flossing frequently enough
- Improperly cleaned and/or fitted dentures or braces that trap food particles and bacteria
- Smoking or chewing tobacco-based products
- Infections in the mouth – such as gum disease, which is caused by the buildup of plaque on the surface of the teeth, eventually produces toxins which irritate the gums
- Unhealthy digestive system due to stomach acid deficiency
- Respiratory tract infections, including pneumonia or bronchitis
- Chronic sinus infections or postnasal drip
- Eating odorous food
- Dry mouth (also known as xerostomia)
- Illness such as diabetes, lung disease, kidney failure or liver disease
- Medications – most commonly antidepressants, diuretics, and even aspirin
TREATMENT OF BAD BREATH
While only your doctor or dentist can determine the cause and treatment of your bad breath, Coconut Oil Swish is one of the best dry mouth products on the market that can provide you with fast and easy relief.