With the rush and chaos of everyday life, dinner time can often become nothing short of a hassle. Between picking up the kids from soccer and ballet to getting them bathed and homework done, making sure that a nutritious, wholesome meal is ready by 6:00pm can often be put on the back burner.
The key to ensuring your family is eating a healthy and well-balanced diet is to have easy recipes on hand that can be thrown together in a pinch. Making sure that pantry staples like coconut oil, organic chickpea pasta, and brown rice are always stocked will help the process become seamless.
At Lauren Naturals, coconut oil is one of our favorite ingredients to cook with. Full of healthy fats and a neutral taste, it is both easily adaptable and keeps us feeling full for longer. Read on for 3 easy 30-minute meals that use coconut oil as a key ingredient.
Spicy Kale & Coconut Stir Fry
3 tablespoons coconut oil
2 eggs, beaten
2 cloves of garlic, pressed
¾ cup chopped green onions
1 cup additional vegetables (optional but adds extra fiber and nutrients!)
1 medium bunch kale, ribs removed and leaves finely shredded
¼ teaspoon sea salt
¾ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
2 cups cooked and chilled brown rice
2 teaspoons tamari (can substitute for soy sauce)
2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce (can substitute for sriracha)
1 lime, halved
Handful fresh cilantro
- Heat a large wok or non-stick frying pan on medium-high heat. Once pan is hot enough, add in 1 tablespoon coconut oil. Add beaten eggs and scramble until lightly set. Transfer eggs to separate bowl.
- Add an additional tablespoon of coconut oil to the pan. Throw in the garlic, green onions and any optional vegetables. Cook until all vegetables are tender. Then add in kale and sea salt, cooking until kale is wilted and tender (approximately 2 minutes). Transfer vegetable and kale mix to bowl with eggs.
- Add in 2 teaspoons of coconut oil to the pan. Throw in your coconut flakes, stirring frequently, until they are lightly golden. Add in the rice to the pan and cook until the rice is hot (approximately 3 minutes). Stir frequently.
- Pour egg, vegetable and kale mix to the pan. Add in the tamari, chili garlic sauce and juice of ½ lime. Stir well.
- Divide the stir fry into two bowls. Slice the remaining ½ of the lime in half, and top on each bowl. Garnish with cilantro leaves and enjoy!
Paleo Coconut Chicken Tenders
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced lengthwise into strips
2 egg whites, lightly beaten
¼ cup coconut flour
¾ cup grated parmesan cheese
¼ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Mix coconut flour, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper together in medium-sized bowl.
- Heat large pan or skillet on medium-high heat. When pan is hot, add in 2 tablespoons coconut oil.
- Dip chicken strips into egg whites and then into coconut flour mixture. Continue until all strips are coated.
- Place strips into hot, oiled pan. Cook until chicken is golden brown, approximately 4-6 minutes. Turn halfway through cooking.
- Pair with your favorite condiments and enjoy!
Roasted Vegetable & Chorizo Soup
2 cups cubed rutabaga
1 medium eggplant, cubed
1 medium zucchini, cubed
1 medium pepper, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
¼ cup coconut oil, melted
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
12 ounces chorizo sausage, sliced
6 cups chicken broth
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Place rutabaga, eggplant, zucchini, pepper and onion on a cookie sheet or ceramic baking dish. Drizzle with 3 tablespoons coconut oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 30 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- In a large pot, heat 1 tablespoon coconut oil over medium-heat. Add in sliced chorizo and onion and sauté until browned and cooked through (approximately 8 to 10 minutes).
- Add roasted vegetables and broth into pot and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Top with salt and pepper to taste and enjoy!
Our favorite thing about coconut oil is that it is so versatile and easy to enjoy. From using it as a cooking agent or when brushing your teeth—the opportunities are endless!